In research conducted by historian Juan Aranda Doncel, a letter from castreño Carmelite Fr. Martin name Osuna (+1706) are met. In that document the following information is reported:
“This monastery of N.S. del Carmen in Castro del Rio was founded in 1555, which became a foundation at the request of the Villa and regiment, and after entering religious and taken possession, the implementation of its factory was suspended the year 1559 because, as bishop of Cordoba Yltmo. D. Diego de Eslava and Esquivel, gave leave for the factory of the convent be continued and be populated religious, at the request of R.P. fr. Gregorio Fernández, Provincial who at the time was in this province.
In the books of Baptism which has the Church of the Villa, in the faith that gives the priest or item of a baptism that was administered to October 10, 1555, reads as follows: and on this day is based on this villa a convent of NS del Carmen. The license gave the bishop referred Eslava is preserved in the archives of the Convent.”
In the image the emblem of the Order of Carmelites is shown.